unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Stingray Birth and Mating Video!

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Sam
Post subject: Stingray Birth and Mating Video!
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:45 pm

I am what you might call a trygonophile. I just can't get enough of Freshwater Stingrays. Over the years Ned has brought in a number of great, and often surprisingly hardy species. These have mostly included the spotted rays of the species leopoldi, henlei, and motoro, although we occasionally get a hystrix or related ray as well. Infact, we have three Marbled Motoro Rays and a Hystrix-type Ray at the store right now!

The video clip below shows a pair of Potamotrygon motoro that I brought home from the Fish Factory half a decade ago. I placed them in a 215 gallon tank and grew them out in hopes of breeding them. They didn't need much convincing and as it became clear that the female was very VERY pregnant I began filming. Four days of straight filming on VHS 6 hour tapes finally yeilded this fantastic birth/mating sequence. The female gives birth to her first pup at the start of the clip, is immediately attacked by the usually docile male, and then proceeds to give birth three more times. It is a bit brutal, but they are basically sharks after all. Let me know what you think!

[ img ]

•THIS VIDEO MAY NOT BE COPIED OR USED WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISION OF SAM JAFFE•

Profile Quote
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:43 am

That is amazing! Thanks for sharing that. Nothing at all what I expected to see, even after your intro. If it would be alright, can I share the URL of your video with a general aquaria forum? I am sure there are lots of people out there that would love to see that!

Sam
Post subject:
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:03 am

Anonymous wrote:
If it would be alright, can I share the URL of your video with a general aquaria forum? I am sure there are lots of people out there that would love to see that!
Sure you can share the URL. The only reason I want to try and restrict the videos use is because I still have some hope in publishing a paper on the event. Granted the breeding was more of a novel occurence 6 years ago then it is now... but I have still yet to see another birth/mating caught on tape.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Just arrived fish pictures”
Jump to: