Fish-related discussions

Allglass 20 gallon tank question

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Jeffs
Post subject: Allglass 20 gallon tank question
Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:01 pm

Ned/Dan,
My neighbor is offering to sell their All-Glass 20 Gallon Freshwater Deluxe Kit really cheap at $40( I assume its the same company as Aqueon?). I cannot find much info about this tank. Do you know what type of wattage the light has. I'm aiming for bright lights (at least 2wpg), is the fluorescent light that comes with it bright enough? If not, do you sell fluorescent bulbs that are at least 2wpg and if so, how much do you sell them? Is the filter that comes with it adequate or should I also upgrade the filter? Thanks.

8g Oceanic biocube with too many plants and too many fish!
Species list: crystal red shrimp, boraras merah, weitzmani tetras

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeffr ... sh1ts3.jpg

Profile Quote
Sam
Post subject:
Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:41 am

We don't sell the pre packaged aquarium kits for a reason. They are almost always insufficient in some way. Deluxe or not.

I looked up the 20 deluxe online and it comes with a plastic hood, single bulb strip light, and a whisper power filter. The light is 20 watts so it will not be enough to support a planted tank of the form you have now, and the plastic hood does not allow you any space to add a second fluorescent or a higher wattage compact fluorescent or t5 set up. Ideally you want to aim for 2.5 to 3 watts per gallon. The filter is fine for moving the water, but whispers, in my opinion, are not good bacterial filters. They have only limited media volume (the white pad insert that carries charcoal inside) and it is difficult to clean it without destroying your bacterial culture.

You could make this work for plants such as anubias and java ferns, but given the interest you have shown in heavily planted tanks and difficult little fish, you would be much better off getting a different set up.

We can set you up with a 20 gallon tank, glass hood, small compact fluorescent or t5 lighting system, and an aqua clear filter or small canister filter, and all the rest of it. I think you will be happier with a good set up.

-Sam

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Return to “tank & equipment pricing”
Jump to: