unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Replacement ballast?

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
grayMatters
Post subject: Replacement ballast?
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:32 am

I've got a Current Satellite 1x96W fixture (approx 18 months old) where the light flickers for hours before it burns steady. I replaced the bulb, so I know that's not the problem. I assume it needs a new ballast.
  1. Is there anything else that might be wrong (other than the ballast)?
  2. Here's a picture of the ballast my fixture uses: http://www.marineandreef.com/products/c ... st96LG.jpg. A bit of searching seems to find a good number of instances where that ballast doesn't last very long. (By comparison, I've got a 48" twin bulb fluorescent fixture, at least 15+ yrs old, that only recently needed a new starter, but never a ballast - no doubt tomorrow it will). Anyway, do you know of an alternate ballast (better quality) for the Satellite?
Thanks.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:05 pm
Site Admin

according to the guy at Current
silicone grease helps lengthen the life of the ballast

so when you put the bulb end into the socket
grease both sides (the bulb end and the lamp socket)
this supposedly will keep the power from short circuting the wrong way back into the ballast...
I'm not an electrician but I guess this makes sense

technically they are only guaranteed for 1 year
but if you write to them
I think you'll get a positive response

their email is:
info@current-usa.com
<info>

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
TheFishGuy
Post subject: My 2 cents
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:55 pm

I have done a lot of looking for other brand ballast to replacxe the Current brand ones. I only found other brand of ballast I have never heard of that cost a LOT more than Current's.

Just thought I would share my findings to save others time from hunting around.

Josh

TheFishGuy
P.O. Box 2453
Framingham MA 01703
508-314-1992
www.the-fish-guy.com

Profile Quote
grayMatters
Post subject: Fulham Workhorse?
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:13 am

Thanks for the info...
  • Before posting, I had sent off an email to Current telling them the fixture is 18 months old and asking what can be used as a replacement ballast. So I'll see what they say / do.
  • I'll try the silicone grease. Now all I have to do is find it. Ned, any idea if this stuff is it: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none?
  • In my previous searching, I came upon this post: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/equip ... ation.html. Not being an electrician I'm perfectly unclear which, if any, of the suggested ballasts would work. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Profile Quote
TheFishGuy
Post subject:
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:35 am

The grease you looked up is fine.
The link for the ballasts do not have any ballasts that will work with PC lighting. The only ballasts the electrical supply houses I checked with were able to get were Current brand. i can't imagine that no one else makes them, but your options are limited. If Current doesn't do anything for you, Ned can order you the ballast you need. He's good like that.

Josh

TheFishGuy
P.O. Box 2453
Framingham MA 01703
508-314-1992
www.the-fish-guy.com

Profile Quote
grayMatters
Post subject: Tips only
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:17 am

From Ned:
Quote:
if you write to them I think you'll get a positive response

From Current, not quite the positive response I was hoping for:
Quote:
We have put quite a bit of time and money into the development of the ballasts we are using. The main reasons for failure are heat and arcing in the socket region of the fixture, so here are a couple of things to keep an eye on.

The fixtures need to be installed in an open area that is ventilated. Also make sure that the fan region and opposite side vent are kept clean of dust, debris, fur, etc. Sometimes if the units are mounted in a line they can draw in the warm air from another fixture. As always, make sure the fixtures are not installed inside of canopies. Even ventilated canopies still don't allow the units to dissipate heat through convection cooling using the aluminum housing.

Salt creep and or moisture that gets in and around the socket region can cause a small arc. While this may not be strong enough to damage the lamp or the socket, it can cause the ballast to fail. This is a safeguard of the ballast to ensure that the system shuts down before the worst possibly happens. When installing and changing lamps, it is recommended to put a small amount of conductive silicone (AKA di-electric grease found at most hardware stores) between the holes in the lamp socket. This adds an insulative barrier that will prevent salt creep and moisture from getting into the pin area where an arc can occur. This is a possibility why the ballasts are failing.

We have also provided a link to the eNewsletter for monthly maintenance tips that will also help prolong the life of your fixture.

http://current-usa.com/wavelength.html

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Return to “tank & equipment pricing”
Jump to: