Fish-related discussions

Please help with filtration choice

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned, Sam
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Dermab
Post subject: Please help with filtration choice
Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:25 pm

Ned,

I have been in a couple of times and I am almost ready to order either a 125 or 150g setup for freshwater use. I most likely will not have small fish.

I need help narrowing down the filter choice. You gave me too many options!

At first I was going to get an overflow kit with a sump filter. But then a friend said I should use a biowheel somewhere.

Will the sump give enough biologic filtration so I do not need a biowheel?

To save the extra cost, what is the disadvantange of using the sump filter without the overflow kit?

Do you suggest a cannister filter with a biowheel?

I have not had a tank for over ten years so a lot of this filtration is new to me. Please help.

Profile Quote
Admin
Post subject:
Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:20 pm
Site Admin

I have been in a couple of times and I am almost ready to order either a 125 or 150g setup for freshwater use. I most likely will not have small fish. EXCELLENT, SMITHERS, EXCELLENT.

I need help narrowing down the filter choice. You gave me too many options! I KNOW...YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS, I TOLD YOU 5 WAYS TO BUILD A WATCH.

LET'S MAKE THIS SIMPLE...IF YOU TRAVEL OFTEN GET THE EHIEM CANISTER.
IF YOU SELDOM TRAVEL, GET THE WET DRY WITH THE OVERFLOWS,
& OVERFLOW KITS.
IF YOU WANT TO SAVE THE MOST MONEY, GET 3 AQUACLEAR 110 (500) FILTERS.
IN ANY OF THE 3 CHOICES, I SUGGEST YOU ALSO HAVE AN AIR PUMP.

At first I was going to get an overflow kit with a sump filter. But then a friend said I should use a biowheel somewhere. BIOWHEELS ARE NOT NECESARY.

Will the sump give enough biologic filtration so I do not need a biowheel? YES.

To save the extra cost, what is the disadvantange of using the sump filter without the overflow kit? JUST TAKES LONGER BECAUSE WE HAVE TO ORDER THE TANK DRILLED, TAKES AN EXTRA 4 WEEKS ABOUT. NOT THAT BIG A COST DIFFERENCE AFTER ALL IS FINISHED.

Do you suggest a cannister filter with a biowheel? NO, BUT IF YOU INSIST ON THE BIOWHEEL I HAVE SOME AT 50% OFF.

I have not had a tank for over ten years so a lot of this filtration is new to me. Please help.
IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU SHOULD HIRE JOSH TO INSTALL IT FOR YOU WHETHER YOU GO WITH THE WET/DRY OR THE CANISTER.
HE'S REAL GOOD WITH ALL THAT PLUMBING TYPE STUFF.

Ned
unclenedsfishfactory@gmail.com
508 533 5969
>>={{{{{{{{{{{{{{(°/)

Profile Quote
Captainandy
Post subject: Filter choice - Keeping it simple
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:02 pm

Just remember one thing, when you keep an overflow with a sump you must maintain a fairly constant water level or else the pump will be _ air. While i wouldn't do salt water without one, all my FW are with cannister filters. Simple, safe, minimal effort

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “tank & equipment pricing”
Jump to: