unclenedsfishfactory.com

Fish-related discussions

Why is it called ichthyology?

Moderators: Admin, Uncle Ned
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
the real mc. koi
Post subject: Why is it called ichthyology?
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:26 pm

when i was in my baby stages of fishkeeping i asked myself that question, cluelessly i needed to find out from a more experienced and seasoned fishkeeper, which clarified the subject to me beyond any doubt! he explained:
when people first started collecting and naming fish the sience's name was "picyology" from the latin "picis"= fish
but while taking them back with them to their homeland, obviously did not have the knowledge and equipment that we have nowadays.
the result was the loss of most or all of the fish they were transporting due to stress deasees, the most common and deadly one "ichthiosporidum"
realizing that they were spending much more time trying to figure out this deasee and a vaccine for it, then collecting, studying and naming the fish
they much debated and finally agreed that the sience should be called "ichtyilogy" instead.
To present times, much debates have been made as to change the name back to "piscyology" however it was decided to keep the former name due to the fact that it had been used for so long thus creating confusion, and that the vaccine and extermination of the deasee has still not been realized.
I was a bit suspicious at first but some how it all made good sense.
Expecially when, six months into the hobby i too realized that i was spending much more time trying to ged rid of ich then enjoing my fish.

upon asking that very nice man to why the deasee was called "ichthyosporidum"
the man replied something about the fish foating about sideways and once in a while jolting here and there as they were drunk and looking like they had a bad case of hickups during the later stages of the deasee.

Profile Quote
upon
Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:42 pm

Also, the Greek word for fish is ikhthus.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Return to “Ned Complaining”
Jump to: